Academic Renewal

The following policy was approved by the UNC Greensboro Faculty Senate on October 2, 2002; amended October 23, 2006; amended March 4, 2015.

Academic Renewal allows formerly enrolled students who have been readmitted the possibility of having grades earned during their previous attendance period to be forgiven (excluded from GPA calculations). Students initiate the request for Academic Renewal by filing a form with the Students First Office.

Formerly enrolled students who left UNC Greensboro with a cumulative GPA below 2.00 may pre-qualify for academic renewal when:

  • they have not been enrolled in any institution of higher education for a minimum of one year (one fall and one spring semester);

or, as an alternative:

  • they have completed 24 credit hours of transferrable college credit with a 2.50 GPA since their last enrollment at UNC Greensboro.

Upon being readmitted and/or reactivated under the provisions of this policy, pre-qualified students may apply for Academic Renewal after earning at least a 2.30 GPA on their first 12 credits following re-enrollment. If a student earns fewer than 12 credits in their first term after re-enrollment, all hours and grades earned in consecutive terms (concluding with the term in which the 12 credits total is reached) will be considered for this requirement. If a student earns more than 12 credits in the first term after re-enrollment, all hours and grades earned in that term will be considered for the GPA requirement. Thereafter, the student must meet the standard for continuation in the university Academic Good Standing policy.

All Academic Renewal requests should be submitted to the Students First Office and will be reviewed for approval by the Academic Renewal Review Committee.

Upon meeting the Academic Renewal requirements, previously completed courses in which grades of a D+ or below were earned will be forgiven. The recomputed GPA will be calculated from the courses in which grades of C- or higher were earned. All courses taken will appear on the academic record and count toward attempted hours. Grades will be forgiven only once during a student’s career and cannot be reversed.

Students who receive approval for an Academic Renewal Request cannot utilize the Grade Replacement Policy in future semesters.

Chancellor’s List

Undergraduate students are eligible for the Chancellor’s List who meet the following criteria:

  • achievement of 30 or more credits at UNC Greensboro
  • a cumulative grade point average of 3.65 or higher
  • current enrollment at UNC Greensboro in 12 or more credits 
  • be in Academic Good Standing

In the case of transfer students, at least one semester of enrollment at UNC Greensboro is required.

Recognition is accorded the recipients of this honor. The Chancellor’s List is published on the University Registrar’s website after all grades have been processed for the respective fall or spring term. The achievement also appears on the academic transcript.

Dean's List

Undergraduate students are eligible for the Dean's List who meet the following criteria:

  • carry six or more credits of course work graded on an A, B, C, D, or F basis
  • earn a grade point average of 3.50 or better and have no grade below B- for the semester
  • be in Academic Good Standing

The list is compiled at the end of each semester or when a grade change is processed after a semester for all students whose grade point average falls within the range at the time the report is prepared.

Recognition is accorded the recipients of this honor. The Dean's List is published on the University Registrar’s website after all grades have been processed for the respective fall or spring term. The achievement also appears on the academic transcript.

Final Course Examinations

Final examinations may be required at the discretion of faculty and must be scheduled in course syllabi with information available to students on the first day of class.

Change of Examination Schedule

A student desiring to change the meeting time of a final exam should make the request directly to the class instructor. It is the instructor’s prerogative to grant such requests. In instances where students have more than two exams within a 24-hour period, they may apply to the University Registrar’s Office, 180 Mossman Building, for permission to change their exam schedules. The usual process is to change the middle examination in a sequence of three. All requests for changes in examinations must be filed with the University Registrar’s Office before Reading Day.

Grade Appeal Policy

If a student wishes to appeal an assigned grade, the student should first discuss the concerns with the instructor. If desired, the student may further appeal to the department head, the dean of the school or college, and the provost, in that order.

The following amendment to the appeal policy was approved by the UNC Greensboro Faculty Senate on November 17, 2007.

Grade Appeals will be considered only in the most exceptional circumstances, and are approved only in cases where the evidence strongly supports the student’s claim. Appeals must be filed no later than the first six months after the grade has posted.

Examples that do merit a grade appeal include:

  • The instructor has miscalculated a final grade;
  • The instructor has violated the grading policies outlined in the syllabus without reasonable cause;
  • The instructor has not provided a reasonable explanation of how the student’s work was evaluated.

Examples that do not merit a grade appeal include:

  • The instructor’s grading policies differ from other instructors in the department, college or school, or university.
  • The instructor’s Attendance Policy differs from other instructors in the department, college or school, or university.
  • The instructor’s Late Work Policy differs from other instructors in the department, college or school, or university.
  • The grade distribution in the class in question is lower than in other sections of the same course.
  • The student’s grade in the course is significantly lower than grades the student earned in similar courses.
  • The grade in question will trigger probation, suspension, or loss of financial aid.

Please note that simple disagreement about what constitutes fair grading is not grounds for an appeal. Department or school handbooks and/or the instructor’s syllabus define standards for grading in that course. When a student elects to remain in a class after reading these materials, the student is understood to have accepted the grading terms for the course. The instructor is not obligated to deviate from grading standards outlined in the department or school handbooks and/or the syllabus.

Grade Points/Grade Point Averages (GPA)

UNC Greensboro uses a credit hour and grade point system for evaluating undergraduates. Credit hours represent the number of course hours completed. Grade points are determined by the number of credits attempted and the grades earned.

The grade point average is determined by dividing the accumulated number of grade points earned by the accumulated number of semester hours undertaken. Hours attempted but not passed must be included in this calculation. However, a second F or WF in the same course is not used in computing the grade point average. Courses graded on the P/NP or S/U basis and courses transferred from another institution (except those courses taken through the Consortium and Inter-institutional Registration) may not be used in determining the UNC Greensboro grade point average.

Beginning with courses taken in Fall 1996, plus/minus grades are incorporated into the GPA for all undergraduates.

Grade Grade Points Awarded Per Hour of Credit
A 4.0
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0
D- 0.7
F/WF 0.0

Grade Replacement Policy

Except for courses with specific provision in the course description for repeated credit, a UNC Greensboro undergraduate student may repeat a UNC Greensboro course in an attempt to earn a better grade. Students may request that an original grade in a course be removed from the Grade Point Average (GPA) and replaced by the grade earned in the repeated course. Students must initiate the request by filing a form with the University Registrar’s Office to replace a grade.

  • Grades can be replaced for courses taken Fall 2005 and thereafter.
  • Only courses numbered 300-level and below may be repeated.
  • During their undergraduate careers, students may request to replace the grades for a total of three courses, regardless of credit hour value. For example, a student may replace a single course three times, or a combination thereof, not to exceed the limits of the policy.
  • Grades earned as a result of Academic Integrity violations, which are recorded by the Dean of Students Office, may not be replaced by another grade.
  • Grades earned in repeated courses will not be used to replace grades earned as part of a degree once it has been conferred.
  • All grade replacements are final.
  • The academic record will reflect all attempts and grades.
  • The attempted credits from all courses will be counted for academic standing, tuition surcharge, and financial aid eligibility (as applicable).
  • Students who have received an approved Academic Renewal Request cannot utilize the Grade Replacement Policy in future semesters.

In the case of all other repeated courses, attempted credits and grade points from all attempts will be counted fully in the GPA; however, credits earned for the course will count only once in the total hours for the degree. Departmental policies may supersede this policy.

Grade Reports

Final course grades are made available to students at the end of each semester on UNCGenie, UNC Greensboro’s student information system. Students can view and print copies of their grades from UNCGenie.


A grade in a course is based on the quality of the student’s classroom and written work throughout the semester. Most course grades are not solely based on the final examination alone.

If a course or its equivalent is taken more than once for credit and is not repeatable for credit, credit will be applied toward degree requirements only once.

Grading System For Undergraduates

Grade Description
A Excellent—indicates achievement of distinction and excellence in several if not all of the following aspects: 1) completeness and accuracy of knowledge; 2) intelligent use of knowledge; 3) independence of work; 4) originality.
B Good—indicates general achievement superior to the acceptable standard defined as C. It involves excellence in some aspects of the work, as indicated in the definition of A.
C Average—indicates the acceptable standard for graduation from UNC Greensboro. It involves such quality and quantity of work as may fairly be expected of a student of normal ability who gives to the course a reasonable amount of time, effort, and attention.
D Lowest Passing Grade—indicates work that falls below the acceptable standards defined as C but which is of sufficient quality and quantity to be counted in the hours of graduation if balanced by superior work in other courses.
F Failure—indicates failure that may not be made up except by repeating the course.
I Incomplete—indicates that the completion of some part of the work for the course has been deferred because of prolonged illness of the student or because of some serious circumstances beyond the student’s control. Concomitantly with the recording of an Incomplete grade, the instructor files with the head of the school or department concerned the student’s average grade and the specific work that must be accomplished before the Incomplete can be removed. Incomplete grades may be recommended by the university physician, the Counseling and Testing Center, and by the Dean of Undergraduate Studies. See also the topic Incomplete Grades in this section.
IP In Progress—indicates that the course work was planned to continue beyond a single semester.
NC No Credit—indicates an audited course.
NR Not Reported—indicates a final grade was not submitted prior to the official end of the semester according to the university’s academic calendar.
P/NP Passing/Not Passing—used for designated courses only; courses graded P/NP are so indicated in the course description.
SA Satisfactory
SP Special Exam
US Unsatisfactory
W Withdrawal—indicates a course from which the student withdrew during the first eight (8) weeks of classes; no academic penalty is attached to a grade of W; see also Course Withdrawal.
WE Withdrawal Without Penalty—Individual Course
WF Withdrawal with Failure—indicates a course from which the student withdrew after the first eight (8) weeks of classes; a WF is computed in the student’s GPA; see also Course Withdrawal.
WM Withdrawal Without Penalty—Full Term, Military
WN Withdrawal Not Passing—used in courses designated P/NP.
WT Withdrawal Without Penalty—Full Term
WX Withdrawal With Penalty

Incomplete Grades

An Incomplete grade may be removed by completion of the deferred work. The time line for which all deferred work must be submitted by a student is determined at the discretion of the instructor and should be clearly outlined via a written document summarizing the course work to be completed and any deadlines for submission. A student should not re-register for the course in order to remove the Incomplete. An Incomplete received during a semester or in summer session must be removed within six months from the last day of examinations in the term in which the course was taken. This deadline indicates the final date that an instructor may submit a grade change to remove the incomplete grade. The parameters for removing an incomplete grade, including any deadlines for which work must be submitted by a student, are at the discretion of the instructor.

An incomplete not removed within this time limit is automatically converted to an F on the student’s academic record by the University Registrar's Office. A graduating senior who incurs an incomplete and who has completed all requirements and enough semester hour credits and grade points to graduate may do so even though the Incomplete grade is outstanding. If the Incomplete is not removed within the required six months, it will be converted to F at the end of that period of time. When an Incomplete is removed, it may be replaced by A, B, C, D, F, or, in certain designated courses, P, NP, S, or U.

Retroactive Grade Change

A retroactive grade change is a change in an officially recorded grade. A grade becomes officially recorded when the Registrar so stipulates. Except to correct clerical errors or to resolve an incomplete grade (see Incomplete Grades), a retroactive grade change is an extraordinary action and is granted only in the most compelling circumstances. No change may occur unless the instructor who gave the grade initiates the formal process of a retroactive grade change. The change must also be approved by the instructor’s department head and by the instructor’s dean.

Students who seek a retroactive grade change to a W are referred to the section on Withdrawing from Courses Retroactively in the Course Withdrawal Policy.

Retroactive grade changes are not made for students who have graduated.

Credit Hours

Credits for all courses are reported in credit hours. A credit hour credit equals one 50-minute class period per week or its equivalent throughout one semester. The number of credits given for each course is listed as part of the course description.