Withdrawal for Students Called to Active Military Duty
Military Call-Up Policy
Leaving Prior to the Completion of a Term
A student voluntarily or involuntarily called for active military duty in the Armed Services Reserve or the National Guard is eligible to elect one of the following options for leaving prior to the completion of a term:
A. Complete Withdrawal Option (without academic penalty)
- Tuition and general fees are fully refundable.
- Health fees are generally fully refundable, except for students who have used UNC Greensboro health services. These students would be billed at the service rate to a maximum charge equivalent to the health fee. Students who have enrolled in the Student Health Insurance program should contact the Agent for information on a pro-rated refund of premium.
- Room and board is refunded based on the number of weeks the room is occupied and the meals consumed.
- The student is still responsible for all miscellaneous charges such as library fines, parking tickets, health service charges, etc.
In order to be eligible for a refund under these guidelines, the student must contact the University Registrar’s Office and provide the following:
- a copy of his or her call-up papers; these serve as documentation for the refund of tuition and fees
- a mailing address to which the student would like the refund to be sent
The University Registrar’s Office will notify appropriate offices of the student’s withdrawal including Undergraduate Studies, the Graduate School, Financial Aid Office, Housing and Residence Life, and the Cashiers and Student Accounts Office.
In order for a student living in UNC Greensboro housing to receive a refund from the Department of Housing and Residence Life, room keys must be returned to the appropriate office.
If a student is receiving financial aid when called to active duty, financial aid must be repaid according to federal and state guidelines before a refund will be issued by the UNC Greensboro.
B. Early Exam Option
A student who is required to report for military duty not earlier than four calendar weeks prior to the date a semester ends as stated in the official catalog of the UNC Greensboro (or after completion of at least 75% of the enrollment period in a non-standard semester) may, when authorized by the instructor, take the final exam early and be given full credit for all courses that have an average grade of C or better. Students are not eligible for refunds for which they receive credit.
C. Incomplete Grade Option
A student who is required to report for military duty prior to the completion of a term may take a grade of incomplete in a course and complete it upon release from active duty. Course completion may be accomplished by independent study or by retaking the course without payment of tuition and fees. Under federal financial aid policies, a course that is retaken in this manner may not be counted toward a student’s enrollment load. An eligible student who receives an incomplete for any course is not entitled to a refund of tuition or fees paid.
Returning to UNC Greensboro Within the Same Term
A student called for active duty and subsequently released within the time frame to re-enroll during the semester of withdrawal may pursue re-enrollment within the same term. UNC Greensboro will make every effort to accommodate the request. Individual contacts with faculty involved will determine appropriateness of returning to a course.
Returning to UNC Greensboro at the Start of a New Term
A student voluntarily or involuntarily called for active military duty in the Armed Services, Armed Services Reserves, or the National Guard who wants to return to UNC Greensboro must submit an application for readmission to UNC Greensboro Undergraduate Admissions.
The returning student is eligible to have the application fee waived if:
- The student selects the option to pay by check during the application process.
- The student notifies the UNC Greensboro VA Certifying Official of the intent to return and provides a copy of orders, confirming dates of call to active duty.
The re-enrolled student is technically ineligible to participate in early registration for the term of re-enrollment; however, UNC Greensboro will arrange a priority window to assist the student in returning with appropriate classes that are applicable toward the field of study.