Health Management, M.S.N./M.B.A.
The combined M.S.N./M.B.A. is offered jointly by the School of Nursing and the Bryan School of Business and Economics and requires a minimum of 62 credit hours.
Please refer to the preceding enrollment requirements for all graduate nursing students.
For information regarding deadlines and requirements for admission, please see the Guide to Graduate Admissions.
The Associate Dean for Academic Programs reviews the credentials of each applicant in collaboration with faculty from each specialty area. Exceptions to the requirements can be made on the recommendation of the faculty. The Associate Dean for Academic Programs forwards the admission recommendation to the Vice Provost for Graduate Education who makes the final decision.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Current unrestricted licensure as a registered nurse in one of the 50 states or validated credentials by CGFNS for international students. Residents of North Carolina must hold unrestricted North Carolina licensure as a registered nurse.
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing from a program accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency.
- Minimum of one year full time clinical nursing experience.
- Satisfactory MAT/GRE score.
- A personal statement of 400 words or less that comments on applicant’s nursing background and discusses future goals.
- A resume.
- An interview is required for selected applicants. An inferential statistics course and health assessment course at the undergraduate level are required prerequisite courses.
- A minimum of 3.2 GPA is required from the undergraduate nursing program.
- Three professional nursing references (mix of educational and professional sources).
- Nonresidential international students are required to participate in a telephone interview.
Degree Program Requirements
Required: 62 credit hours
Upon entry to the M.S.N./M.B.A. in Health Management degree program, students should have a working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet applications in a PC environment. Familiarity with Excel is required.
ECO 250 Economic and Business Statistics I of Pre-M.B.A. workshop in statistics is recommended to meet the program prerequisite for statistics.
|Financial Management in Healthcare|
|Interprofessional/Interdisciplinary Collaboration and Negotiation|
|The Role of the Nurse Leader in Advanced Quality and Safety|
|Information Technology in Nursing Administration|
|Law, Policy, and Economics of Healthcare|
|Leadership and Management Essentials in Healthcare: Theories and Roles|
|Organizational Leadership and Management|
|Strategic Management of Health Care Organizations|
|Nursing Administration Practicum|
|Research Methods in Nursing|
|Quantitative Analysis for Decision Making|
|Financial and Managerial Accounting|
|Economic Policies and Impact on Global Outcomes|
|Operations for Competitive Advantage|
|Technology and Innovation|
|Creating and Sustaining Competitive Advantage|
Please refer to the Required Withdrawal section listed in the M.S.N. Degree Requirements.