Global Studies, Post-Baccalaureate Certificate
The online Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Global Studies seeks to instill in students a solid knowledge of particular cultures, while also providing training in the analysis of global trends. Students will learn how to make connections between their knowledge of a particular part of the world and the larger trends and issues that affect all societies. Fifteen (15) credit hours must be successfully completed during a three-year period to earn the certificate.
For information regarding deadlines and requirements for admission, please see the Guide to Graduate Admissions.
In addition to the application materials required by The Graduate School, applicants must submit a personal statement elaborating how the certificate will further their personal and professional goals.
Degree Program Requirements
Required: 15 credit hours
|Culture and Ideas (The Contemporary World)|
|Human Nature and Society (The Global Economy)|
|Scientific Reasoning (Global Perspectives in the Sciences)|
Select 6 credits of electives
In consultation with the program director, students choose 6 hours of electives from the following courses:
Subtopics for MAS 610 Culture and Ideas
- The Islamic World: Perceptions and Realities
- Global Arts: Windows into the Hearts of Other Cultures
- Current Problems in the Middle East: An Historical Perspective
- The Dragon Awakes: Charting the Course of Modern China
- Cultural Identities: Contemporary Non-Western Literature
- Voices from Latin America: Why Don’t They Like Us?
- Religion and Ecology
- The Reel World: Contemporary Issues on Screen
Subtopics for MAS 620 Human Nature and Society
- Dangerous Minds: Understanding Terrorism
- Global Human Rights
- Emerging Powers